The Fifield Fire Lookout Tower is situated within the rolling forested terrain of the Chequamegon -Nicolet National Forest. Standing 100 feet in height, its observation cab is supported by galvanized steel legs set on four concrete piers. The Wisconsin Conservation Commission, now the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, errected the tower in 1932, a year prior to the establishment of the national forest. It was constructed at a time when wildfires rages across the "cutover" landscape of northern Wisconsin and served as an observation point, staff by lookouts, that was part of a broader fire detection and suppression system. There were once 38 such towers located within the national forest; only nine remain standing today.