2008 marks the 75th anniversary of the establishment of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). One June 15, 1933 an advance group of the 654th Company arrived to set up tents for Blue Lake Camp in an area about 8 miles south of Minocqua near the Tomahawk River. By November 30 the 209 men had their new barracks ready for occupancy. They planted trees, cleared fire lanes, and landscaped the Woodruff fish hatchery. They fought forest fires, erected telephone poles, improved lakes and streams, and began the development of the beach at Torpy Park. The CCC was disbanded at the start of World War II.