Abstract: The Zarling Lake Site (47FR186) is located along a ridge that divides the headwaters of the Oconto and Wolf rivers. It was initially identified as an Oneota seasonal camp based on ceramic similarities with those of the coastal Mero Complex assemblages, and a seventeenth century radiocarbon date taken from a house floor. Recent investigations at 47FR186 extend Oneota occupation back to the tenth century A.D. The site is examined in light of the initial description of the Mero Complex, the formulation of the Zarling Lake Phase, and investigations at other Mero Complex sites.
Note this: "The Lake District may have been abandoned by Woodland peoples around A.D. 1400 (Salzer 1974:50)." P. 73