We clip the following from the History of Eagle River, written by Rev. Father Goepfert in the Eagle River Review:
Thanksgiving day, Nov. 25th., 1897, has given Eagle River City the electric lights: and bring did they shine on the untrodden snow along the streets, stores and dwellings, bringing joy to every heart. To us, theses lights are a Thanksgiving gift: they are a boon to the people; they are the pride of the town; they are an everlasting credit to our intelligent city officers, Messrs Mart Hirzel, chairman, Mat Sceribel and James Langill, supervisors, directed by their emminent [sic] lawyer, Sen. D. E. Riordan, names well deserving to be engraven in letters of gold, and enshrined in flaming sparks on our historyâs pages. Let these be held in bright and grateful remembrance, as well as Eagleâs clear-minded voters, who twice supported the wise proposal of their âgo-aheadâ magistrates to get the electric lights.