Dr. Kate Newcomb & Museum, Woodruff
Dr. Kate Pelham Newcomb from her office and treatment rooms in Woodruff during the 1940's and 1950's. Dr. Kate was one of only two doctors from the northern Wisconsin area; she treated local residents and tourists and traveled over 300 square miles to make house calls to patients. [From the Historical Marker placed in Woodruff in 2016.]
Charles Forbes remembers being treated by Dr. Kate on two occasions: once for plantars warts on his foot and knee (he was referred to the hospital in Marshfield) and once for a gamma globulin shot to (hopefully) help protect him from polio after he had been around Harold Bryant's cabin on Lake Laura while he was in the hospital in Wausau with polio (he died in the hospital very quickly).
**** indicates no known author.