Murphy's Cottages on Star Lake
The large point at the east end of the north bay of Star Lake is called Oie's Point, named for the brothers Vernon and Chester Oie, who developed it. They first came to Star Lake in 1912, having come to the "end of the line" on the railroad, for which they worked. The returned regularly, and in 1923 bought the point. Serving friends who came to visit soon developed in to cottages for rent and a resort, "Oie's Point." At some point Vernon bought out his brother, and ran the resort, his son Vernon Jr. helping. They couldn't survive gas rationing and other restrictions during World War II, and the resort was sold to the Stuth family who ran it for a while, selling to the Murphy's. It was run as Murphy's Housekeeping cottages until the late 20th century, when the cottages were sold one by one.
Other cottages on the point were not part of the resort, and as of now (2007) Vernon Oie and his wife Sharon have their summer home on the point.
**** indicates no known author.