Presque Isle, Vilas County, Wisconsin
Nearly 300 years ago, shipwrecked French priests on the shores of Lake Superior made their way down a river to an area which they christened "Presque Isle," or "almost an island," because of the vast stretches of lakes and rivers that dwarf the land.
Development came to the area in the early 1900's with the advent of the logging era. In 1905 we were known as Fosterville, after one J. J. Foster who built and operated a large saw mill. Today, the world's largest walleye rearing ponds occupy the old mill grounds.
William S. Winegar bought the mill in 1910, and the fledgling community was renamed "Winegar." When the mill closed in 1933, the "Lumber Baron" era came to an end.
In 1955, the village name was changed once again. Reflecting the wisdom and farsightedness of the early French missionary priests we became "Presque Isle -- Almost and Island."
From "There is a Place... Presque Isle"
**** indicates no known author.
Bird City Wisconsin
In 2011 Presque Isle was among the inaugural group of cities and towns in Wisconsin designated a "Bird City Wisconsin." [B[1714
There was a Red Owl “franchised agency” grocery store in town in 1961 according to Backward Glances in the Vilas County News-Review, August 4, 2021 (60 Years Ago–1961).