United States Government
Many small towns in America face the same situation as Star Lake: They are recognized as an entity only by the United Stated government through the existence of a Post Office bearing their name. In the case of Star Lake, and its neighbor Sayner, this is highlighted by the fact that the township is named Plum Lake. So the only government entity that recognizes Star Lake as an entity is the Post Office. We are Zip Code 54561.
However, Star Lake is touched by the federal government in a number of ways. See the listing of topics to the left.Charles P. ForbesAugust 28, 2009
Comprehensive ReferencesAsplund and Larsen, EPA Launches National Lake Survey, Lake Tides, Vol. 32, #1, Winter, 2007, pp. 4-5., Stevens Point, 2007. View Full EntryLandstrom, Karl, How We Acquired Out Landed Estate, Land, Yearbook of Agriculture, 1958, 1958. View Full EntryUS, General Accounting Office, Land Ownership: Information on the Acreage, Management, and Use of Federal and Other Lands, GAO/RCED-96-40, Washington, 1996. View Full Entry
Major ReferencesCarstensen, Vernon, The Public Lands, Madison, 1963. View Full EntryHill, Barry, Federal Lands: Information on Land Owned and Acquired, GAO/T-RCED-96-73, Washington, 1996. View Full EntryNational Geographic Society, Federal Lands in the Fifty States, Washington, 1966. View Full Entry
Minor ReferencesBoyd, Gregory, Family Maps of Vilas County, Wisconsin, Deluxe Edition, Norman, Oklahoma, 2010. View Full Entry
- EPA Launches National Lake Survey
- Family Maps of Vilas County, Wisconsin, With Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More
- Federal Lands: Information on Land Owned and Acquired. Testimony.
- Land Ownership: Information on the Acreage, Management, and Use of Federal and Other Lands
- Public Lands, The: Studies in the History of the Public Domain